Hong Kong members
The Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering’s Hong Kong Branch represents over 1,600 members in the Hong Kong region and acts as the professional body for those in the plumbing and heating industry.
Its main objectives are to advance - for the public benefit and education - the science, practice and principles of plumbing and heating engineering in the Hong Kong region.
The Branch actively runs several training programmes and is currently leading the cohort of CIPHE registered Chartered Engineers. The Branch is one of the Accredited Providers under Voluntary Continuing Professional Development Scheme for Licensed Plumbers. It also maintains frequent dialogue with the Water Authority which forms a bridge between the industry and the Government Departments.
Hong Kong Branch history
The Hong Kong Branch of the CIPHE (formerly known as Institute of Plumbing), was registered in the Societies Registration Office by Mr G.S. Stokes. The main objective of the Hong Kong Branch was to provide better service to the members in Hong Kong region. The number of Branch members has grown dramatically from around 200, to more than 1000 members.
The Branch originated as The Institute of Plumbers - Hong Kong Council. The Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering - Hong Kong Branch ( or CIPHE-HKB for short) came into being in July 2008. The new title better reflects their scope of work and firmly identifies plumbing and heating as an engineering discipline.
The parent Institute (CIPHE) provides full support to the Hong Kong Branch in terms of advancement of science and practice of plumbing. The Hong Kong Branch continues to implement the objects as set out by the Institute, including training and further public education of plumbing.
Interested in joining the Hong Kong Branch?
Those from the Hong Kong region can join the CIPHE's Hong Kong Branch (CIPHE-HKB) at the following levels:
- Associate (ACIPHE)
- Member (MCIPHE)
- Fellow (FCIPHE)
- Companion (CompIPHE)
Those living in the Hong Kong region can join the Branch provided they hit the following criteria:
An applicant who is studying for a recognised training / education course in the field of plumbing & drainage / fire services.
- Aged over 18 years of age
- Has reached a level of competence in one or more aspects of plumbing and heating engineering at level of Ordinary Certificate / Ordinary Diploma or above
- Is gainfully employed in the industry and is receiving practical and technical experience.
- Holds an Ordinary Certificate / Ordinary Diploma or above in building services discipline or related subject from a Government recognised body / technical school / Institute or equivalent.
- Has 3 years experience in plumbing & drainage / fire services field in a supervisory level.
- Holds a Professional Diploma in Public Health and Plumbing Engineering or Higher Certificate / Higher Diploma in building services discipline or related subject from a Government recognised body / technical school / Institute or equivalent.
- Has 5 years experience in a plumbing & drainage / fire services field at a supervisory level
- And the applicant shall have 3 years continuous working experience in the above fields before the day of applying of this category.
- Holds recognised University Degree or above in building services discipline or related subject from a Government recognised body / technical school / Institute or equivalent.
- 10 years in plumbing & drainage / fire services field at management level;
- The applicant shall have 5 years continuous working experience in the above fields before the day of applying of this category; and
- The applicant shall have contributions in the above fields as recognised by the Institute.
Applicant whose work associates with the plumbing & drainage / fire services industry and supports the work of the institute but does not hold a qualification which will lead to competence in plumbing.
Industrial Associate (IA):
Open to manufacturers, distributors and other organisations that supports the work of the Institute and the industry.
Registered Plumber Professional:
- Holder of Valid Plumber’s Licence Grade 1 issued by The Water Authority of HKSAR or equivalent qualification;
- Only a person recognised as a Fellow, Member or Associate who possesses appropriate qualifications and experience can be recognised as a Registered Plumber.
Registered Plumbing Company:
- An Institute member who is enrolled as a Registered Plumber who is a partner, director or principal of an installation company may apply to use the description.
Those interested in membership can find out more about the criteria, costs and application process via the Hong Kong Branch website.
For more information about membership, your application or the Hong Kong Branch in general, please contact:
Address: P.O. Box 62531, Kwun Tong Post Office, Hong Kong.
Tel: 2417 0091 (Monday - Friday, except public holidays, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm)
Fax: 2417 9719