Aims and Objectives
Founded in 1906, the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) is the professional body for the UK plumbing and heating industry.
Membership is made up of practitioners, consultants, specifiers, designers, public health engineers, lecturers, trainers and trainees.
The CIPHE has a membership of 7,500, including over 150 manufacturers and distributors. The majority of members live in the UK, although over 1,000 are resident in Hong Kong.
Aims and objectives
The CIPHE's aims and objectives are as follows:
To raise the standards of individual Members by:
- Setting basic standards progressing to higher professional development
- Working towards Chartered status for members
- Development of Apprentice, Journeymen, Master Plumber Certificate and CPD programmes.
Public Safety & Health
To benefit and educate the public worldwide by:
- Defining & monitoring professional standards
- Compiling and publishing a list of competent persons
- Co-operating with professional, research & educational bodies.
To promote study, research and publication by:
- Encouraging research groups in building engineering services
- Supporting technical advances within the industry
- Publishing research and development papers.
To further education of the profession, worldwide by:
- Promoting technical training programmes with colleges and the industry
- Supporting new and emerging technologies.
- Publishing technical guidance.
Provides a framework for prioritising the work of the CIPHE.
Download the strategic plan
The CIPHE formed in 1906, but it's origins can be traced back even further.View our history
Code of Professional Standards
All CIPHE members volunteer to abide by a Code of Professional Standards.View the code