PLUMBING PROFESSIONALS DEVELOPMENT SCHEME (PPDS)
The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) and The Worshipful Company of Plumbers (WCP)
Joint scheme for the early-career development of talent in the plumbing and heating sector
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
CIPHE & WCP will jointly deliver and run the Plumbing Professionals Development Scheme (PPDS) for talent in the plumbing and heating engineering industry.
For those who have passed NVQ Level 2, the scheme will:
- Offer Continuing Professional Development through a systematic Learning Programme (partly on-line) to develop:
a. Technical Skills for a fast-changing trade – ‘green’ net zero and low-temperature systems
b. Business, Commercial, Behavioural, and Teamworking Skills to become versatile professionals
c. The exchange of ideas and networking to raise knowledge and standards
d. The plumbing and heating industry to attract new entrants
e. Excellence amongst emerging talent in the plumbing and heating sector
- Provide Mentors to raise technical, business, and people skills, and to enhance career development. Each person will have a Personal Mentor and access to a wider panel of subject-matter Specialist Mentors.
- Provide Networking events supported by large industry bodies and organisations.
- Recognise early-career talent in the industry via Awards, Competitions, and Profiles.
- Support career progress to recognised Apprenticeship, Journeyman, and Master Plumber status.
- Promote plumbing and heating careers in schools.
- Provide access to WCP events, especially the Annual Lecture; develop an understanding of the role of the City of London, the Livery movement including its charitable and pro-bono work.
- Consistently promote Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion, and equal opportunity for growth.
THE MEMBERSHIP OFFER
- Each person will become a member of WCP & CIPHE fully funded by those organisations. Social media platforms and trade media will be used to communicate and share the progress of the scheme. #PPDS
- WCP & CIPHE will each offer specific services to support member at the start of their careers.
- The scheme will strengthen organisational links with the industry with ‘strategic investment’ to grow emerging talent and retain it in the profession.
GOVERNANCE AND MANAGEMENT
- CIPHE & WCP will each appoint two individuals to manage and drive the scheme. They will report to the CIPHE Executive and the WCP Membership Committee, and will identify candidates and lead the scheme so that members are engaged, maximise their potential, and become committed to long-term membership of CIPHE and WCP.
- The first membership cohort will be a pilot: this group will be selected by the scheme managers. The scheme will be reviewed annually and updated.
- Sources of candidate: after the first cohort, an open application process will be offered.
Tim Sainty - Membership Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Gary Kruse - Membership Manager email@example.com
Martin Shouler and Dan Tranter via Adrian Mumford: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out what training options are available to you, and how to find a good training provider.Find out more
Approved Training Centres ATC
Browse our directory of CIPHE Approved Training Centres (ATC) to find a quality training establishment near you.Find out more
Find out about apprenticeships in the plumbing and heating industry.Find out more