Tomorrow’s Engineers Live returned for its second year at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in London on 13 March 2023.
The successful event focused on bringing organisations from across the engineering and STEM sectors to collaborate, share knowledge and determine actions for the community to carry forward.
As the engineering industry faces crucial issues in diversity and recruitment, Tomorrow’s Engineers Live aims to connect the community together to facilitate collaboration and collective action.
Tomorrow’s Engineers and The Tomorrow’s Engineers Code allows organisations to collectively work toward common goals to increase the diversity and number of young people entering engineering careers.
Recent report findings from EngineeringUK highlight the need now, more than ever, for engineering organisations to develop and improve engineering outreach activity to inspire a diverse and enthusiastic generation of future STEM professionals.
Dr Hilary Leevers, Chief Executive of EngineeringUK, commented on the success of the event: "It's been a fantastic day bringing together The Tomorrow's Engineers Code community of Signatories and Supporters and many other organisations who care about bringing more young people into engineering and tech careers."
Highlights from the day included:
- Over 63% of delegates said they would change aspects of their activities following the event
- 86% of delegates said they are likely to pursue new collaborations with other organisations as a result of attending Tomorrow's Engineers Live
- Feedback and insight from young people from The STEM Project, who shared their opinions and views on how engineering outreach should be improved
- Expert knowledge from our panel of speakers sharing how to prepare for jobs of the future, including those which may not exist yet
- The gaps in knowledge and understanding of vocational routes into the sector, particularly T Levels, by both young people, employers and learning providers
- How to embed environmental sustainability into programmes, both within STEM subjects, but particularly the need to support this across the curriculum into other subjects and learning opportunities
- Feedback on what can be done to support SMEs and small organisations to inspire the next generation of engineers, in a sustainable way
The Tomorrow’s Engineers and EngineeringUK team would like to extend their thanks to all the attendees, speakers and facilitators at the event who made the day so rewarding.
We are looking forward to working together and using our collective impact to increase the number and diversity of young people entering engineering careers. Sign up to our newsletter to stay tuned for future Tomorrow’s Engineers Live events, we can’t wait to see you.
Find out more about working collaboratively and connecting with other organisations with The Tomorrow’s Engineers Code.
CIPHE is proud to be a Signatory of The Tomorrow’s Engineers Code and by doing so, we commit to the 4 pledges to inspire connection, drive inclusion, showcase engineering and improve impact.