National Maintenance Week 2017
The end of November always signals the end of autumn and the beginning of the cold months ahead. No one wants to get caught out by freezing temperatures, burst pipes or broken down boilers when the icy fingers of winter set in. That’s why this year’s National Maintenance Week is ideally timed to take place from 17 November to 24 November, with the equally important National Gutters Day taking place on Friday 24 November.
The week is all about reminding people to get those maintenance jobs done – no matter how large or small they may be. We all know regular maintenance is vital for all properties, regardless of age, scale or purpose. However, did you know that checking and maintaining plumbing and heating systems will not only help to keep you safe and warm during our harshest months, it can also save you a substantial amount of money too? The damage caused by a burst pipe alone can run into thousands of pounds.
The CIPHE recommends all households:
- Have their plumbing and heating systems serviced once a year by a qualified professional.
- Have any gas boilers (or appliances) serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Have any oil-fired boilers serviced annually by OFTEC registered engineer.
- If you have a cold-water storage cistern (normally located in the roof space) it’s really important to check it regularly and, if it is metal, make sure it is not corroding.
- Ensure that all exposed pipes and water storage systems are properly insulated, particularly in the roof space or attic, where there is little heat from the house.
- It is also essential you find out where your stop valve is located on the incoming water supply main and label it. Check occasionally that it is working – you never know when you may need to turn off the water supply to your home.
So if you have been ignoring that dripping tap or continuously running overflow pipe, now is the best time to get it all sorted. Find a professional plumbing or heating engineers via our online find a plumber tool or phone 01708 472791.