Keeping the nation safe
If you didn’t know it's Gas Safety Week 2017, where have you been? The annual awareness week is taking place once again from 18th to 24th September and if you are an installer, there’s still time to get involved. We know how much time, effort and hard work goes into becoming Gas Safe registered. Help the CIPHE and Gas Safe spread the message this Gas Safety Week by getting involved.
1) Encourage clients to set an annual gas appliance safety check reminder (for free) at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
2) Always make sure you have your Gas Safe register ID card on you and educate your clients that they should always verify an engineer’s credentials. Unfortunately, the onus is on them to choose a Gas Safe engineer and they may not be as aware as they should.
3) Provide customers with your details and insist they verify that you are Gas Safe Registered via www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk prior to commencing work. It not only reinforces your hard earned credentials, it may also make them think twice about employing anyone else.
4) Make sure your clients are aware of the danger signs that their appliances are not working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
5) Check that they know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
6) Check that they have an audible carbon monoxide alarm that will alert them if there is carbon monoxide in their home.
7) Get involved on social media using the hashtags #GSW17 and make sure you follow @GasSafetyWeek on twitter.