Advice on Appointing an Expert
The following should be considered when appointing an Expert.
- Ask the Expert to confirm that the matter in question is within his field of expertise and experience.
- Ask the Expert for their CV.
- Check with the Expert how many disputes are they engaged to deal with each year.
- Provide the Expert with as much detail of your problem as possible and ensure the Expert is given the details of any other party involved so that the Expert can confirm there is no conflict of interests.
- Make sure the Expert is aware of the likely amount of costs being claimed. If the claim is for a small amount of it may not be financially viable to employ an Expert.
- Before appointing an Expert always obtain in writing their terms of engagement, confirmation of their fees and the timescale for preparing and issuing reports.